East Kootenay Addiction Services
- ekass.com | 1.800.644.6144
- East Kootenay Addiction Services Society provides free and confidential counselling to youth, adults, couples and families dealing with difficulties from their own or someone else’s substance use. In addition, we provide referrals to approved residential treatment and detox facilities, school-based educational programs, community education, outreach, harm reduction programs and our youth Teen Empowerment and Mastery Program (TEAM).
Fernie Opt Clinic
- Options for Sexual Health (Fernie) website | (250) 423-8274
- Our clinics provide sexual and reproductive health services for all ages, all genders, and all orientations. Our clinicians are committed to providing you with confidential, nonjudgmental, youth-friendly, pro-choice, and sex-positive services.
Fernie Women’s Resource Centre
- ferniewomenscentre.com | 1 (800) 339-7393 or (250) 423-4687
- Since 1979 the Fernie Women’s Centre has been serving the communities of the Elk Valley, which include Fernie, Sparwood, Elkford and the South Country. Our aim is to raise the status of women, act as a referral and drop-in centre, offer support to women and their families, and to inform and educate the public around issues concerning women.
- ankorsvolunteer.com | (250) 426-3383
- ANKORS’ mission is to respond to the evolving needs of those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C and other blood-borne pathogens; and to foster healthy, informed communities.
- calgaryoutlink.ca | (403) 234-8973
- Calgary Outlink is an LGBTQ community hub providing peer support, information, and resources to LGBTQ community of Calgary and southern Alberta. Outlink includes resources for local chapters of PFLAG and transgender support groups.
Cranbrook Pride Society
- cranbrookpride.ca | (250) 581-0055
- Cranbrook Pride Society is a group of dedicated volunteers that encourage and empower the LGBTQ community in the Kootenays. We create community, through diversity and we pride ourselves on acceptance.
- Living Positive website | (778) 753-5830
- Having started as an HIV/AIDS service organization in 1992, we have since expanded our mandate to serve individuals in the Central Okanagan living with and/or at risk of HIV, Hepatitis C, and other STBBIs experiencing concerns relating to housing, income, nutrition, health care, addictions and mental health.
- The Kootenay Pride Festival is an annual celebration of diversity and unity held in the cities of Nelson and Castlegar on the Labour Day Long Weekend. The festival aims to build bridges between people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We came together in 1996 to celebrate diversity, be it sexual, political or otherwise. Now in our 20th year, we’re spreading the love to the entire Kootenay region.
Outlet | Pridenet
- Pridenet Youth Contacts (PDF) | (250) 421-3172 (ask for Lina)
- A place for young gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, two-spirited, and questioning youth to get answers in a safe and completely confidential environment. You can find the support you need and meet people just like you. You don’t have to be out to be heard.
BC Crisis Line (toll-free)
Men’s Health Initiative
- menshealthinbc.com | (778)753-5830 (ext 105)
- The Men’s Health Initiative is dedicated to the healthcare needs and concerns of gay, bi, and other non-self-identified men who have sex with men.
- 1-800-566-1170 toll-free in BC or 604-684-6869 in the Lower Mainland
- Peer support, information and referrals for anyone in BC
- Available weeknights (Monday to Friday) from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
QMUNITY: BC’s Queer Resource Centre
- qmunity.caor | (604) 684-5307
- Facebook and Twitter: Qmunity
- Information, education, support groups, advocacy and referrals for lesbian, gay, transgender, bisexual and questioning youth, adults and older adults and allies.
Trans Care BC
- Trans Care BC website | 1 (866) 999-1514
- Trans Care BC aims to enhance the coordination of trans health services and supports across the province, bringing gender-affirming care closer to home wherever possible.
NOTE: Trans Care BC has great connectivity groups in both Cranbrook and Nelson. Contact the Fernie Pride Society for more information.
- The Canadian Rainbow Health Coalition/Coalition santé arc-en-ciel Canada (CRHC / CSAC) is a national organization whose objective is to address the various health and wellness issues that people who have sexual and emotional relationships with people of the same gender, or a gender identity that does not conform to the identity assigned to them at birth, encounter.
- Facebook: PFLAG CANADA
- Information and support for parents, families, friends, co-workers and others. PFLAG chapters are located across BC and Canada. Find contact information on the PFLAG Canada website.
Seniors Pride Network
- The Senior Pride Network is committed to promoting appropriate services and a positive, caring environment for older lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer people in Toronto and throughout Canada.
Trans Lifeline: Transgender Suicide Hotline
- Trans Lifeline is exclusively for transgender people and staffed entirely by transgender operators. With nearly 60 volunteers working worldwide across many time zones and 350 more signed up for training, it’s the first helpline with this level of specificity.
- A forum website for transgendered people in Canada.
- LGBTQ+ Comprehensive Health & Well-being Guide
- The world has changed a lot in the last few years for lesbian, gay, transgender and questioning individuals, for the better in a lot of ways. Yet, significant challenges remain in the quest for equality and its effects on well-being. Sexual and gender minorities face legal discrimination in many areas, and the battle for equality is far from over. The U.S. attorney general has worked to roll back legal protections, for example, and the president has announced a ban on transgender individuals in the military.