The FERNIE PRIDE SOCIETY supports and connects the LGBTQ community in the Elk Valley. Incorporated in December 2016, the Society is a hub for LGBTQ people and their allies, programming special events as well as providing resource referrals.
Our vision is that the Elk Valley will be a safe, inclusive community for LGBTQ people celebrating our uniqueness and diversity.
This year our keen group of volunteers have been hard at work. Just a few things we are working on:
- Monthly connectivity events for LGBTQ individuals such as Beers & Queers, LGBTQ movie screenings, and general getting together;
- Maintaining relationships with local and regional groups and organizations in order to provide resources and referrals to individuals in the LGBTQ community;
- Hosting the annual Elk Valley Pride Festival to celebrate, support, and connect the LGBTQ communities in the Elk Valley;
- Providing local businesses and community organizations access to education in order to help them create safer spaces for LGBTQ individuals;
- Working with local schools and organizations to find opportunities within their organizations to support and connect LGBTQ youth;
- As members of Canada’s national Pride organization Fierte Canada Pride, we are able to contribute to larger initiatives such as petitioning the federal government for better funding for Pride organizations across Canada;
- As a small Pride organization in BC we are able to connect with the BC NDP Premiere’s office how to proliferate Pride in small communities when resources are limited;
- As a local Pride organization in Fernie, BC we are able to present to local Municipal Governments such as the City of Fernie, the District of Sparwood, and the Distrcit of Elkford the need for diversity and inclusion in our communities, the need for funding for local Pride organizations, and the importance of visible support at the Municipal level for people in the LGBTQ community to feel safer and more welcome in these small towns.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Sara Funk, President
- Kevin Allen, Secretary
- Jennifer Asselin, Director
- Melissa Creelman, Director and Youth Co-ordinator